We begin a series of episodes featuring physical therapy students from University of Michigan-Flint as they present important information on geriatric physical therapy. This episode features Diana Stanek, Elizabeth Glasco, Amy Smith, Allie Lampman, Kateri Rybicki, Kim Krokoski, Emily VanVeldhuisen, and Jamie Schaub.
Music in this episode is by Mark Joesting (www.soundcloud.com/mark-joesting), Nctrnm (https://freemusicarchive.org/music/Nctrnm), and Pictures of the Floating World (https://freemusicarchive.org/music/Pictures_of_the_Floating_World).
BALANCE AND TELEHEALTH:
- APTA Michigan Payment resources: www.aptami.org/payment
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Keep on your feet-preventing older adult falls. cdc.gov. https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/older-adult-falls/index.html. Published December 19, 2019. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Klenk J, Kerse N, Rapp K, et al. Physical Activity and Different Concepts of Fall Risk Estimation in Older People–Results of the ActiFE-Ulm Study. PLoS One. 2015;10(6):e0129098. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0129098.
- Zoom. HIPAA compliance guide. zoom.us. https://zoom.us/docs/doc/Zoom-hipaa.pdf. Published May 2020. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Hoffman NB, Prieto NM. Clinical Video Telehealth for Gait and Balance. Fed Pract. 2016;33(2):34-38. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6368933/. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The 4-Stage Balance Test Assessment. cdc.gov. https://www.cdc.gov/steadi/pdf/STEADI-Assessment-4Stage-508.pdf. Published 2017. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA). Implementation telehealth in your practice STAT: Practical guidance from experienced telehealth PTs [Video]. www.facebook.com. https://www.facebook.com/AmericanPhysicalTherapyAssociation/videos/2917542464968284/. Published March 30, 2020. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Venkataraman K, Morgan M, Amis KA, et al. Tele-Assessment of the Berg Balance Scale: Effects of Transmission Characteristics. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2017;98(4):659-664.e1. doi:10.1016/j.apmr.2016.10.019.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevent. Stay Independent. cdc.gov.https://www.cdc.gov/steadi/pdf/STEADI-Brochure-StayIndependent-508.pdf. Published 2017. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- University of North Carolina School of Medicine. The Otago exercise program. med.unc.edu. https://www.med.unc.edu/aging/cgec/exercise-program/. Accessed June 29, 2020.
- Kocic M, Stojanovic Z, Nikolic D, et al. The effectiveness of group Otago exercise program on physical function in nursing home residents older than 65 years: a randomized controlled trial. Arch Gerontol Geriatr. 2018;75:112-118. doi:10.1016/j.archger.2017.12.001.
- Bernocchi P, Giordano A, Pintavalle G, et al. Feasibility and clinical efficacy of a multidisciplinary home-telehealth program to prevent falls in older adults: a randomized controlled trial. J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2019;20(3):340-346. doi:10.1016/j.jamda.2018.09.003.
- Schmid AA, Van Puymbroeck M, Koceja DM. Effect of a 12-week yoga intervention on fear of falling and balance in older adults: a pilot study. Arch Phys Med Rehabil. 2010;91(4):576-583. doi:10.1016/j.apmr.2009.12.018.
- Liu H, Frank A. Tai chi as a balance improvement exercise for older adults: a systematic review. J Geriatr Phys Ther. 2010;33(3):103-109. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21155504/. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Wu G, Keyes LM. Group tele-exercise for improving balance in elders. Telemed J E Health. 2006;12(5):561-570. doi:10.1089/tmj.2006.12.561
- Tudor-Locke C, Bassett Jr DR. How Many Steps/Day Are Enough?: Preliminary Pedometer Indices for Public Health. Sports Medicine. 2004;34:1-8.
- Carter, E. Aging and the Musculoskeletal System. Lecture presented: Geriatrics in Practice at the University of Michigan – Flint; May 11, 2020.
- Rating of perceived exertion: Borg scales. Sralab.org. https://www.sralab.org/sites/default/files/2018-04/Rating_of_perceived_exertion_-_Borg_scale.pdf. Accessed June 29, 2020.
- Perceived Exertion (Borg Rating of Perceived Exertion Scale). Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/physicalactivity/basics/measuring/exertion.htm. Published April 10, 2020. Accessed June 30, 2020.
- The Borg Scale of Perceived Exertion. The Nutrition Source. https://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/borg-scale/. Published September 18, 2012. Accessed June 29, 2020.
- Mayo Clinic. Exercise Intensity: How to Measure it. https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/exercise-intensity/art-20046887. Published August 06, 2019. Accessed June 29, 2020.
- American Heart Association. Target Heart Rates. https://www.heart.org/en/healthy-living/fitness/fitness-basics/target-heart-rates. Published January 04, 2015. Accessed June 29, 2002.
- Mayo Clinic. How to Take your Pulse. https://www.mayoclinic.org/how-to-take-pulse/art-20482581. Published April 07, 2020. Accessed June 29, 2020.
- Keep on Your Feet-Preventing Older Adult Falls. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/injury/features/older-adult-falls/index.html. Published December 19, 2019. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Important Facts about Falls. CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/falls/adultfalls.html. Published 2017. Accessed June 30, 2020.
- Huntzinger A. AGS Releases Guideline for Prevention of Falls in Older Persons. American Family Physician. 2010;82:81-82
- Preventing Falls: A Guide to Implementing Effective Community-Based Fall Prevention Programs. CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/homeandrecreationalsafety/pdf/falls/FallPreventionGuide-2015-a.pdf. Published 2015. Accessed June 30, 2020.
- My Mobility Plan. CDC. https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/pdf/older_adult_drivers/CDC-AdultMobilityTool-9.27.pdf. Accessed June 30, 2020.
- Hughes K, van Beurden E, Eakin EG, et al. Older persons’ perception of risk of falling: implications for fall-prevention campaigns. Am J Public Health. 2008;98(2):351-357. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2007.115055
- Sherrington C, Whitney JC, Lord SR, Herbert RD, Cumming RG, Close JCT. Effective Exercise for the Prevention of Falls: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis: EFFECTIVE EXERCISE FOR THE PREVENTION OF FALLS. Journal of the American Geriatrics Society (JAGS). 2008;56:2234-2243.