We conclude our series featuring DPT students from the University of Michigan-Flint as they talk about important issues relating to geriatric physical therapy. Today’s episode features two segments talking about the effects of COVID-19 and depression in the geriatric community and how PT can positively effect patients in a post-COVID world.
A special thanks to all of the UM-Flint students and their instructor, Dr. Emily Carter, for their hard work.
- CDC. Depression is not a normal part of growing older. CDC.gov, Updated on January 31, 2017. Accessed June 19, 2020. https://www.cdc.gov/aging/mentalhealth/depression.htm
- Guccione AA, Wong RA, Avers D. Geriatric Physical Therapy. 3rd ed. St. Louis, MO. Mosby, Inc. 2012.
Berg-Weger M, Morley JE. Editorial: Loneliness and Social Isolation in Older Adults during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Implications for Gerontological Social Work. J Nutr Health Aging. 2020;24(5):456-458. doi:10.1007/s12603-020-1366-8
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Coronavirus disease 2019 –older adults. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/older-adults.html. Updated June 25, 2020. Accessed June 26, 2020.
- Guccione AA, Wong RA., and Avers D. Geriatric Physical Therapy (3rd ed.). St. Louis, MO: Mosby; 2012. https://ebookcentral-proquest-com.libproxy.umflint.edu/lib/umichigan/reader.action?docID=1429854. Accessed June 26, 2020.
- American Physical Therapy Association. PACER series: geriatric considerations: COVID-19. https://learningcenter.apta.org/Student/MyCourse.aspx?id=9f020459-b0b4-40f1-afcb-c135f45af2b8&ProgramID=dcca7f06-4cd9-4530-b9d3-4ef7d2717b5d. Published April 13, 2020. Accessed June 22, 2020.
- Thomas P, Baldwin C, Bissett B, et al. Physiotherapy management for COVID-19 in the acute hospital setting: clinical practice recommendations. Aust J Physiother. April 2020;66(2):73-82. doi:10.1016/j.jphys.2020.03.011.
- American Physical Therapy Association. Practice guidelines emerge for physical therapy and COVID-19 in acute hospital setting. https://www.apta.org/news/2020/03/26/practice-guidelines-emerge-for-physical-therapy-and-covid-19-in-acute-hospital-setting. Published March 26, 2020. Accessed June 30, 2020.
- American College of Sports Medicine. ACSM’s Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescription (9thed). Baltimore, MD: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2014.
- World Health Organization. Dementia –facts sheet. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/dementia. Published September 19, 2020. Accessed June 30, 2020.